Keeping up - technology and the Joneses

Wednesday 23 February 2011

I know so many people that have categorically stated that they hate iphones. They wouldnt even entertain a try on the touch screen and the apps. fastforward a few months/years and I bump into them in the dtreet totally engrossed in - yes you guessed it - their iphone! So what is so special about this little number that even the android versions manufactured by apples rivals cant slow the sales figures?

I was exposed to the iphone very shortly after it came out. My then other half always had to have the latest technology before anyone else in our social sphere. Compared to todays iphones, it was a clumsy piece of hardware, but the original iphone is still an envied piece of kit compared to the mainstream phones available on the market.

What really does it for me is that these little machines evolve. The software and operating systems are frequently updated and the updates are accessible. In fact the whole technology around the iphone is accessible. Apple scored huge big brownie points in terms of seamless accessibility. The iphone is essentially a small computer with a phone attached.

Disagree? Think about this, 15 years ago, a computer with 1,2 or 4 Gig hard disk was a very big deal. You had to access it with a CRT monitor and similar laptops were like carrying a load of bricks in your bag. Now you can have a phone, on which you can send and read email, from multiple accounts, browse the web, access skype, play games, install work related applications and even read business documents. You can access a map that tells you where you are and then tell you how to get to where you're going. The possibilities are endless.

So this week after holding off for a considerable period of time, I bought my other half an ipad. I thought about this carefully. because of the speed of modern obsolescence I did not want to buy some technology only to want to upgrade it in six months time. I ordered the top of the range as by experience I have become aware that often reduces the speed of obsolescence.

I thought about it carefully though - and took out a contract- why you may ask - it works out more expensive? Well lets do the math. £349 for the ipad £25 a month for two years. The 64Gb ipad with wifi and 3G costs £700 new, regardless of where you shop. I took £25 and multipleied it by 14. it costs £600 over two years - but.... take the £350 off that for the remainder of the ipad had I bought one outright that leaves me £250 to justify. I get 15GB of usage for two years for £250 dive that by 24 and you get 15 Gb for £10.42 a month including VAT. Thats a lot less than the same home broadband after VAT, and home broadband providers dont dish out computers with the deal.

The ipad deal from Three remains unbeatable and I'm afraid to say their service while not perfect is untouchable compared to the likes of the giant providers.

Well done Three.

iPad Micro Sim

0 comments:

Post a Comment